Apple Crisps and Toffee Apples - What to do with all dem apples?

At this time of year, I don't know about you but my family always receive a crate or two of apples from our friends farms. And we can never finish the crate and always end up with mouldy mushy apples at the bottom of a crate. So this year we have vowed to finish the crate off by any means possible. This means apple crisps and toffee apples and even apple cake, which might be another post if I can find Mumma's recipe.  So here's how i made these wonderful things.



Apple Crisps

You will need :

  • Lemon Juice
  • Apples (of course!)
  • Cinnamon
  • Brown Sugar

First off, you always want to wash your apples whether they are pesticide free or not. It just always a good idea. I used an old toothbrush and some fairy liquid in some warm water and I rinsed them off after scrubbing.  Also, it is a good idea to pre heat your oven to 120℃ and you should make sure you have a sometime because they take a little while to make.


Then I filled a large bowel with some cold water and popped some lemon juice in it. The reason why I know to do this is from my wonderful food technology teacher Mr Smith, we put the sliced apples in water and lemon which helps to stop enzymic browning (basically stops the apples from going brown)


Then I got a knife and sliced the apples quite thinly, I didn't peel or core the apples because I know that most of the nutrients in apples are in the skin and to be honest I couldn't be bothered to do that.


After slicing I popped them into the water bath and put the scraps in a food bag that can go in the compost.


Then I dried off the apples on some kitchen roll making sure to pat both sides dry to try and make the tie they spend in the oven a little shorter.


Now, you can put whatever you like on these I just chose some brown sugar for some and some cinnamon and left others plain so we had options.


Now pop these bad boys in the oven for around an hour and turn them over half way through. If you want them to be chewy-er then I would advise you to cut them thicker and leave them in the oven for less time. Bestie also suggested putting chocolate on them which I strongly advise. And there you go! Your very own apple crisps.


Had enough of apple yet?? Because I haven't!! Here's some toffee apples I made earlier.

Toffee Apples

You will need : 

  • Two bags of Tesco's own brand of toffee
  • Apples (duhh)
  • Sprinkles!
For this one I don't have pictures of me making it because there was hot molten toffee involved and I 100% would have burnt myself. But I basically unwrapped all the sweets and popped them into a Pyrex dish and made sure to test a few for quality control. Then I popped them into the microwave for around 30 seconds stirring in between while I spiked the apples with a fork (I literally couldn't find any shop that sold any sort of stick so I had to improvise) Make sure you wash your apples first to be safe! Then once the toffee was bubbling and very liquid I swirled the apples in one by one and immediately popped the sprinkles on them so they would stick. Then pop them onto some grease proof paper and leave them for 10 minutes to cool down! Then you can dive in!!! Here some close ups. 


I found that chopping it into slices makes for an easier bite but it definitely doesn't look as pretty!!



Hope you enjoyed this post my lovelies! Be sure to be on the look out for some more apple inspired recipes coming soon!!! Love you lots!!!

Love,
Lottie
xxx

Comments

Popular Posts